Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mrs. Turner’s Lawn Jockeys By Emily Raboteau

This is an excellent coming of age story, and can be enjoyed by people young and old. You would relate best to this if you had a troubled childhood, or if you are/were a parent who has had trouble with their children. Bernie, the main character, throughout the story, simply cannot please his father. As s result of this his father is very unhappy, and Bernie tries many times to change this. In the end, Bernie does something crazy, which his father finds hilarious.
I can personally relate to this story, because I, much like other teens feel that I simply cannot please my parents. Whether or not this is true, it seems that my parents look for reasons to be angry at me. I thought this story portrayed the feeling of futility a child feels when mom or dad is angry, it’s as if nothing can go right.
This is a great read for anyone facing challenges in their life; it can really put your problems in perspective, and show you that a little comic relief is sometimes all you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment