Thursday, May 19, 2011

Asphalt by Frederick Pollack

Asphalt by Frederick Pollack is a coming of age story about a teenage boy who goes to the underprivileged part of Chicago with his father. His father tells the narrator all about his life when he was a young boy living in that area with his family. This short story would be great for any type of teenage person.
I thought that the story Asphalt was a good story. The short story shows that when you get older you tend to have less interest in places you have been before. I can relate to this story because when I first went to my grandparent’s house in England I thought it was the greatest place in the world. Now that I am older I think that their house is extremely boring and really tiny and cramped.
I think the author, Frederick Pollack, is trying to tell the reader that it is best to try to pay attention and at least try to be interested in what a person is telling you since they are taking their time to tell you about their life history. Frederick Pollack won the Scholastic Writing Award first prize for his short story in 1963 when he was only a senior in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment