Thursday, May 19, 2011

Driver’s Education

Driver’s Education is a coming of age story. Fourteen to sixteen year old girls, who don’t get offended easily, will enjoy this story the most. Some slightly graphic seens are described and strong language is used. The story is about a fifteen year old girl going to driving school in the basement of a department store. She dates a guy named Kevin Thorpe in the class, but runs into trouble along the way.
I didn’t enjoy Driver’s Education that much. I thought that some parts were too sexual and linguistic for me to appreciate and enjoy. The narrator also appears to be slightly immature for her age. She doesn’t have enough control of her imagination, and I think she lets it take over sometimes. The story does relate to me in a sense that the narrator is close in age to me. She is in driving school, and I will have my permit in a few months. Additionally, she runs into trouble with boys.
The author is trying to show the reader that other girls go through the same kind of trouble. Also in a scene with an older and disrespectful boy named Todd, I think the author might be trying to tell girls not to let boys take advantage of them. Driver’s Education is an award-winning story in the Hudson Review. Although I didn’t like it very much, I can understand why it is award-winning. The story is very well written, has a good message for teenage girls, and conveys different aspects of growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment