Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Compostion by Antonio Skarmeta

This story is about a boy named Pedro who grows up in Chile and is a normal child. He is forced into a tough situation where he must not tell the whole truth so that his parents stay safe from the army. This story is a coming of age story and would be enjoyed by kids to young adults.
I enjoyed this story and the simplicity of it. It described scenes with much detail and was easy for a reader to digest. This is the reason why I think kids to young adults should read this story. It also addresses an issue that is tough for kids to deal with and that is that it is okay to lie if it is the noble thing to do in that situation. This is why I appreciated the story so much. Growing up I got into alot of situations where I hurt myself by telling the truth maybe when it did not even need to be said and I could of avoided it. If I could of been taught this point of view, which I believe is also Biblical, I would of avoided hurting others as well as myself.
Antonio Skarmeta does an excellent job of writing a story that is quick and to the point yet entertaining at the same time. I would of given this story an award especially since he was trying to steer it towards younger kids and he did a superb job of it. So if you are looking for a short entertaining book for kids then The Compostion would be a perfect match for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment